What You Need
- 2tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 onion (red or white)
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2 large carrots - peeled and finely chopped
- 6 large mushrooms - wiped or peeled and sliced
- 4 Slices bacon choped into small squares
- 500g mince beef
- 1 large tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 150ml white wine
- 150ml beef stock
For the sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- 900ml milk
- Slices of onion, carrot & celery
- 6 peppercorns
- 100g butter
- 75g plain flour
- 12-15 sheets lasagne (fresh or dry)
- 1 pack/ball of Mozzerella cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
What You Need (Optional)
To make a vegetarian option, swap the mince beef for Soya Mince.
Note that soya mince cooks alot quicker and is more absorbant so it may need a little extra stock.
How To Do It
- Pour the milk into a saucepan, add a few slices of carrot, onion & celery, peppercorns & 1 bay leaf. bring slowly to the boil then remove from heat and leave to one side to infuse.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or deep frying pan, add the chopped onion, garlic, mushrooms and bacon. Fry for about 1 minute. Add the mince beef and cook until the mince is browned.
- Stir in the tomatoes and tomato puree, wine, beef stock and 1 bay leaf. Add salt & pepper to taste. Reduce the heat and simer for about 35mins. Stir occasionally.
- While the mince sauce is cooking, make the white sauce.
- Pour the milk into a jug through a sieve to catch the carrot and onion etc.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a very low heat. Add the flour and stir to a soft paste with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the infused milk a little at a time, stirring thoroughly to prevent lumps. Gradually add the rest of the milk until it is all added. Continue to stir until it thickens, do not allow to boil. Add salt to taste.
- Spread or wipe the inside of a baking dish with butter. Spoon one third of the meat sauce over the base of the dish. Cover this with enough lasagne sheets to cover the meat sauce. Spread one third of the white sauce over the lasagne sheets making sure that they are all covered. Repeat the layers twice more finishing with the white sauce.
- Rip the Mozzerella cheese into strips and spread over the top. Grate over as much parmesan as you like.
- Stand the dish on a baking tray and place in the oven at Gas4 180° for about 45mins.
- Serve with a crisp green salad and garlic bread.